The Thompsons

Just us...and my thoughts

Thursday, June 01, 2006

If You Were a Little Girl in the 70'S ...

I opened my email this morning and what do I find but a wonderful trip down memory lane. I just had to share it, with my own comments. Here goes...

You had that Fisher Price Doctor’s Kit with a stethoscope that actually worked.
Yeah, I had this set, but I don't remember the stehoscope actually working, hmm must have not tried it on anyone alive.

You owned a bicycle with a banana seat and a plastic basket with flowers on it.
Mine was pink with a white basket and pretty pink and white streamers. However, I always traded with my friend who had a 10-speed. She loved my bike and I loved hers. Go figure.

You learned to skate with actual skates (not roller blades) that had metal wheels.
I had blue skates. I learned to skate at a 2nd grade skate party. My teacher helped me until I got the hang of it. She was a great lady. :)
I was scared and kept falling but she stayed with me until I was comfortable.

You thought Gopher from Love Boat was cute (admit it!)
And I wanted to be that Julie. :)
I think working in a hotel was the closest I ever came.

You had nightmares after watching Fantasy Island.
Sometimes but I still watched it.

You had rubber boots for rainy days and Moon boots for snowy days.
When I lived in New Jersey I had the "Moonboots" but other than that I don't remember having special shoes for special weather.

You owned a "Slip-n-Slide”, on which you injured yourself on a sprinkler head more than once.
We never had one but we usually would get one of those blow up pools in the summer. :)

You owned “Klick-Klacks" and smacked yourself in the face more than once.
I thought I was the only one who ever did that.

You had either a "bowl cut" or "pixie," not to mention the "Dorothy Hamill". People sometimes thought you were a boy.
I always had long hair, except for a brief 6 months in the 80's where I had it cut like a boy cut and regretted it immediately. The funny thing is I have always hated having my hair in my face, almost always wear my hair up in some way but I can't stand it shorter than my shoulders. Wierd.

Your Holly Hobbie sleeping bag was your most prized possession.
For me it was Strawberry Shortcake.

You wore a poncho, gauchos, and knickers.
Not all together! I did have a poncho.

You begged Santa for the electronic game, Simon.
Yeah I admit it, we had two of them. I couldn't share Simon! I think my love of games started here.

You had the Donnie and Marie dolls with those pink and purple satiny shredded outfits.
OMG! That is where I got those "Barbie" outfits! lol. I must have had these guys because I totally used their outfits on my Barbies.

You spent hours in your backyard on your metal swing set with the trapeze. The swing set tipped over at least once.
I can honestly say we never had a backyard swing but I did have friends who had them. I don't remember them tipping over, though.

You had homemade ribbon barrettes in every imaginable color.
I didn't have these but I did make tons of friendship braclets.

You had a pair of Doctor Scholl's sandals (the ones with hard sole & the buckle).
I did not have a pair of these.

You wanted to be Laura Ingalls Wilder really bad; you wore that Little House on the Prairie-inspired plaid, ruffle shirt with the high neck in at least one school picture; and you despised Nellie Olson!
Scary but true!

You wanted your first kiss to be at a roller rink.
I don't remember where I wanted my first kiss to be strange but as girly as I was I don't think I thought about this.

Your hairstyle was described as having "wings" or "feathers" and you kept it "pretty" with the comb you kept in your back pocket. ~ When you walked, the "wings" flapped up and down, looked like you were gonna "take off"
Now this one I always wanted my hair to do but with curly hair it is kinda difficult without alot of prep time on your hair. So no on this one.

You know who Strawberry Shortcake is, as well as her friends, Blueberry Muffin and Huckleberry Pie.
You're kidding right? I was the girl with Strawberry Shortcake everything. I had the bedding, the curtains, the clothes, the toys, the pillows, the videos (VCR!). I was Strawberry Shortcake for halloween. OMG I love Strawberry Shortcake.

You carried a Muppets lunch box to school and it was metal, not plastic. With the thermos inside!
I also had a thing for Kermit. :) Yeah I had this too.

You and your girlfriends would fight over which of the Dukes of Hazzard was your boyfriend.
Beau! no! Luke! no! Beau! no! Luke!
Yeah that was us.

YOU had Star Wars action figures, too!
This one is so true. I used Han and Luke in my doll house and it was nothing to go hop in the Millenium Falcon to go to the store. ;)

It was a big event in your household each year when the "Wizard of Oz" would come on TV. Your mom would break out the popcorn and sleeping bags!
Yes it was. I miss those days.

You often asked your Magic-8 ball the question: "Who will I marry. Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garrett, or David Cassidy..?"
Sadly I think I am the only person who grew up in the 70's who did NOT have a Magic 8 ball.

You completely wore out your Grease, Saturday Night Fever, and Fame soundtrack record album.
And I played them on my Strawberry Shortcake record player, ha!
I somehow missed the Fame album.

You tried to do lots of arts and crafts, like yarn and Popsicle-stick God's eyes, decoupage, or those weird potholders made on a plastic loom.
I dont know what God's eyes or decoupage is but my mom still has some of the potholders I made on the wierd plastic loom. :)

You made Shrinky-Dinks and put iron-on kittens on your t-shirts!
No on the shrinky-dinks but heck yeah to the kittens.

You used to tape record songs off the radio by holding your portable tape player up to the speaker.
I was so happy the day I got my "boombox" with the tape recorder built in. It was difficult to get those songs you really wanted the other way.

You had subscriptions to Dynamite and Tiger Beat.
I sadly didn't, but I would con my dad into getting me them when I could.

You learned everything you needed to know about girl issues from Judy Blume books (Are you there God, It's me, Margaret.)
Isn't that mandatory reading? lol...I should start trying to find one now for Alex.

You thought Olivia Newton John's song "Physical" was about aerobics.
What? it wasn't?
lol

You wore friendship pins on your tennis shoes, or shoelaces with heart or rainbow designs.
I totally forgot about these, yeah I did.


You wanted to be a Solid Gold dancer.
Everyone I knew wanted to be them.

You drowned yourself in Love's Baby Soft - which was the first "real" perfume you ever owned.
I did drown myself in it but only because it kept the bugs away.

You glopped your lips in Strawberry Roll-on lip gloss till it almost dripped off.
mmmn, strawberry lip gloss

So there you go I am a child of the 70's/80's and loved every minute of it.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home