The Thompsons

Just us...and my thoughts

Monday, January 08, 2007

1st Week of 2007

It has been an interesting week.

I have debated such great and interesting topics: the death penalty, same-sex marriage, american muslims after 9/11, religion in general and a company's tendency to keep their information close until almost too late. Then there are the not so great and interesting: dinner, the bank, the car, the washing machine, Grand Theft Auto and Final Fantasy XII. Of course there is always the kids.

So many topics in 7 short days.

Because of school, Kyle and I have had some really interesting conversations of late.

I had to pick a situation I was familiar with, where I had taken a stand. I ended up having a really interesting conversation with Spenser which lead to my homework answer. So I ended up discussing with Kyle my own opinion of the death penalty and his opinion-which are similar thankfully-and how I felt guilty about my opinion but I was going to keep it. Yes in case you are wondering I am in favor of it, but with some stipulations.

Then my next assignment was to choose from four essays and respond with my take on the essay. The essay I chose was about same-sex marriage. The essay was against it. I am not-and neither is Kyle-and I got to state the reasons I disagreed with the original essay.

The american muslims after 9/11, were also from school. Someone else's situation they wrote about was how thier friend had to give his name as Mike instead of his muslim name in order to find a job. Such a sad state of affairs we are in, but it made for an interesting discussion.

Religion somehow always comes up when talking about any of the above statements, so it came up alot this week.

The rest just came up in the course of conversation of the week.

An interesting week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home